Mazda MX-5 ND slowly progresses

Happy holidays! As Christmas time passes by,  the Mazda MX-5 build finally sees some progress. I have lost any track of how long it is going on or how many hours I have spent on it, but I already cannot wait see how it payed off.

Mazda MX-5 body build

I have remembered to cut the sunroof  just before painting the beast.

Mazda MX-5 body build

 After painting, I test fitted a future custom stickers and sanded all edges for the final assembly.
Window frames are painted from the outside.

Mazda MX-5 body build

I sticked the body kit with a silicone double sided tape and secured with screws.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Bending a base for a roll cage from styrene sticks above a candle.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Securing the styrene to the body and gluing the sticks together.

Mazda MX-5 license plates build

In the meantime I have a time to make some finer details, like license plates.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Which will even be illuminated.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Eyes of the beast!

Mazda MX-5 body build

Both bumpers are reinforced with a piece of lexan and shoe goo.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Exhaust tips are from an aluminum pipe. I have soldered two orange LEDs together, isolated them properly and sticked them inside to make a backfire illumination.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Aaand this is a completed inside of the shell. Pinkey roll cage and a wire job (gave me a serious headache to complete), connecting all of the LEDs and two Arduino Nanos, one of which will be controlled from a switch of the transmitter and the other one by a throttle for the backfire and possibly brake light.



I have considered a servo driven sunroof, but than I chickened out.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Adding some scale details, such as this tow strap.

Mazda MX-5 body build

It is amazing to see the small bits finally on the car. I really cannot wait to tear the foil down to see that beauty uncovered.

Mazda MX-5 body build

Laser etched badges are another sweet point.

Mazda MX-5 body build

I don't even know how this is called, but the additions are getting a little out of hand.


Now I only need to wait for our custom stickers and few other bits to arrive and I will be able to finally reveal all of the effort put into this body!

Comments

Popular Posts